Friday, July 29, 2011

Grilled Rum Peaches with Mascarpone Cheese & Orange Blossom Honey

Living in the South definitely has many great advantages.  One of the many reasons I love living here is the different produce seasons, which tend to be a little be longer than where I am from in the Northeast.  What is wonderful is the Carolinas’ close proximity to the great Peach State.  Peach season in the south typically runs from mid-June through the end of September.  
This dessert recipe is one of the simplest ways to celebrate summer.  I also love a dessert that is made with rum! The mascarpone cheese instantly melts into a creamy, yummy topping that contrasts the crispness of the grilled peaches.  
To top it off, I drizzled local-made honey I purchased recently at my regional farmers market.  This honey is from the Smokey Mountain Honey House in one of my fav towns, Asheville, NC.  I served this for dessert at a recent dinner party and it was a hit!


Ingredients - Serves 2
2 ripe peaches
2 T of honey, plus extra for serving
2 ounces of mascarpone cheese, at room temperature

For the Marinade:
5 T of butter
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of dark rum (I used Sailor Jerry, a favorite in my household thanks to our friend Steve)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Pinch of salt


Method

Combine all ingredients for the rum marinade in a stove-top pan on medium high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Remove from heat and let cool.  

Prepare peaches by cutting them in half and removing the pits.  Place the peaches in a glass dish top with rum marinade.  Marinate for 30 minutes to 4 hours.  

Grill, cut side down for 3-4 minutes, then flip for another 5 minutes.  Remove from grill and top with mascarpone cheese and drizzle with honey!  Viola!
 

Let me know how this recipe works for you!  Also follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

5 comments:

  1. Awesome write up but I believe there is a typo as this recipe is better if you use the whole bottle of Sailor Jerry!

    You should try out for the next Food Network Star. Julie watches that and you could crush them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, this recipe sounds great! We have two peach trees in our yard, and they ripen perfectly in September. I'll definitely try this out (and obviously we have a very healthy supply of Sailor Jerry + Coke to go along with dessert).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve!!! I knew you would appreciate incorporating Sailor Jerry into a meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - You will have to let me know how it turns out! I wish we had a peach tree in our backyard, they are one of my favorite fruits!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steve!!! I realized you would appreciate integrating Sailor man Jerry into a food :)Runescape 2007 Gold
    Buy FFXIV Gil

    ReplyDelete